Friday, July 27, 2012

Liam is 1 Month old!

Where has the time gone? Geez, my 'newborn' is 1 month old today!
My life sure has done a complete 180 degree spin but I wouldn't change it for the world. You really do wonder what you ever did before your children were a part of your life!

So far, my maternity leave has had some highs and lows. The post-labor healing was the hardest part of any of it. I think if that hadn't been such a burden, taking care of Liam those first few weeks would have been easier as well. However, when you need someone to help you even get out of a chair while holding your son, you can't help but to feel a little defeated. I mean, you can't even go pee without first waiting for the water to turn warm so you can fill up your squirt bottle.
Everything I could do to start making myself feel normal again, I did! And slowly, with the help of a lot of pain medication, I felt more like me after 3 weeks.
The second hardest thing was learning Liam. Like, what his cries meant, how to soothe him, trying to get him on somewhat of a schedule. Thank goodness that after 4 weeks, I think we have each other figured out.

Now on to the wonderful things...
His smile. I know its just 'gas' as doctors would say. However, its the cutest darn thing ever and when I think about "wonderful things"- that smile is literally the first thing that comes to mind.
I also love it when he falls asleep in my arms. Even though I struggle with, 'should I put him down now so I can get some stuff done'. I wish I could think less and just feel more. But my mind is constantly trying to do five things at once in order to take advantage of this time off work. When really, I'm suppose to just relax and enjoy my little man. That's hard for this 'do-er'. But, I'm getting better!
Another wonderful thing is watching my husband with Liam. It makes me smile. Even though men aren't 'maternal' ... he really does a great job. When Matt has Liam in his room, and he's talking to him... I can hear the conversation through the baby monitors in the house. That's one of my favorite things to listen to: Daddy talking to baby. Oh the conversations they will have as he grows.
I also love reading to Liam. He just stares up at me with wide eyes as if he can actually understand what I'm saying. The other night, he actually drifted off to sleep while I was reading and I couldn't help but to be excited for the moments when he shoves a book in my hand saying, "One more Mommy". 


1 month milestones for Baby:
- can balance his head on his neck for a good while but can't fully support it yet.
-started "ooh"ing and "ahhh"ing when he is stimulated. It's like his way of talking. I swear he just likes to hear his own voice sometimes. 
-his umbilical cord fell off during week 2 and he LOVES bath time!
-his last little scab on his head from the vacuum finally fell off during week 4.
-he can roll back and forth from side to side but doesn't care too much for tummy time. 
-he has been transitioned completely to his crib! 


1 month milestones for Mommy:
- I'm 90% healed from labor!
- I'm finally putting on clothes other than pajamas everyday!
- I find the time to do the laundry, dishes, and cook dinner almost every day!
- We walk the block around 7pm each night, Mommy, Daddy, Annie, and Liam! (in a stroller of course!)
- My dog and fish are still alive! ;)

I know everyone says you'll miss these newborn days. However, I really can't wait until Liam can interact with us, laugh, and play. And I REALLY can't wait till he starts sleeping through the night! :) Until then, I'll try my best to soak up these times with him, feeding, snuggling, stimulating... and loving. I can not believe that for so many years, Matt and I imagined this part of our lives together. And now, here he is... Liam is the product of our love. I feel like I waited on him for 10 years! He is my pride and joy and everyday he changes a little more. He's my 'bright-eyed' little boy!

Happy 1 Month Liam Malachi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment